Thursday, September 4, 2014

Me



Me.

My name is Adam Flam. I am 15 years old, and I am a sophomore at Whitney M. Young Magnet High School. I am currently enrolled in classes such as Chemistry, Algebra II with Trigonometry, Concert Choir, and A.P. World History. I have a very broad range of interests, from World War II to the performance of various computer components. I am currently in Eco Club at school, which meets after school in room 318 on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I work in the greenhouse in Eco Club, which means I work on the aquaponics system. Aquaponics is a clever combination of hydroponics (growing plants in water) and aquaculture (farming fish and other aquatic animals). Aquaponics is based on symbiosis between various leafy green plants, fish, and bacteria. The principle is that the waste excreted by the fish is pumped up to a filter where it gets taken out, and the ammonia in the fish waste is turned first into nitrite, and then into nitrate by various types of bacteria residing within the filter. This nitrate-enriched water is then pumped to the plant beds, where it is absorbed by the plants for food and thus purifies the water so the fish don’t die from too much nitrate in the water. Besides Eco Club, I do karate, which I have been doing more or less since I was four years old.  I am currently a black belt in karate and I will hopefully be testing again in the Spring to receive my full black belt. I enjoy reading, my favorite books being The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien and the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling, though I do enjoy reading Ray Bradbury and other authors. I also build computers, and I will be starting on my second and third builds over the coming months on the weekends. In my spare time, I play video games (mostly), swim (occasionally), and sleep. I don’t play many sports, especially not competitively, but I sometimes play Basketball with some friends, or soccer or football. I have been to various places around the world, such as London, Paris, Glasgow, Edinburgh, and even Tokyo and Kyoto, but I have to say no place on Earth is quite like Chicago. Chicago has one of the world's tallest buildings, and it also features some of the best architecture I've ever seen. Chicago is truly my favorite city.

No comments:

Post a Comment